Chiropractic is a healthcare profession that diagnoses, treats and prevents musculoskeletal disorders, with an emphasis on the spine. Chiropractic is a form of primary healthcare, looking holistically at the mechanics of the body to establish causative factors. Treatment focuses on managing the cause of the problem as well as the symptoms, getting you back to activity as usual.
What techniques are used?
Treatments include manual therapy including spinal manipulation, joint and soft tissue manipulation, exercises, health and lifestyle counselling.
Who can receive treatment?
We treat different conditions for a range of different patients from babies a few weeks old, children and adults of all ages (our record is a patient of 102!). The techniques we use vary based on the condition and age of our patient.
Why should you receive treatment?
- We look at the whole body holistically, not just one area or symptom.
- We get to the root of the problem, looking at its full impact and sometimes far reaching effects.
- We work with you to manage your condition, creating a treatment plan that will get you back on form and keep you there.
- We work preventatively to prevent relapse or re-injury rather than waiting until we can react to the problems you’re experiencing.
- We provide a setting where you can fully discuss and understand the factors that have caused your problem and learn how to manage them to facilitate recovery.
- We offer a gentle and effective hands on approach to treatment.
What to expect from your
You will have an initial consultation with your chiropractor during which you will discuss the issue as well as your general medical history.
You will then be asked to change down into a gown/dressing gown (you can wear loose fitting shorts underneath).
Your chiropractor will carry out an examination, looking at how you are moving, how your nerves, muscles and joints are working as well as looking out for swelling and bruising or postural imbalance.
You and your chiropractor will work out an action plan for managing your condition.
If clinically appropriate, you will have the option to start your treatment plan there and then. Your chiropractor will talk you through what this will involve.
Each treatment builds on the work of the last, you and your chiropractor are a team working towards your health goals. The combination of hands on treatment, home advice and exercise is designed to help you to achieve your health goals.